Monday, September 24, 2012

Scott Storch Independent Research


He got his first chance when he became a member of hip-hop group “The Roots” as a keyboard player. He did that for a while but wanted to do more in the industry, he made his real breakthrough when he collaborated with super producer Dr. Dre and Scott created the infamous piano riff on the song “ Still D.R.E.” which Dr. Dre produced the entire song and it was a huge hit.

Scott’s biggest hit was producing the song “ Lean Back” in 2004 for Fat Joe, which in reality resurrected Fat Joe’s career. Scott Storch dominated the hip-hop and pop charts for about 3-4 years. By 2006 Storch was reported to be worth $70 million. He was living a lavish lifestyle with all the jewelry, cars, houses, and boats. He was very consistent with making pop records.

At one point, he was really on top when another super producer Timbaland started having problems with Scott because he was proclaiming and not to mention everyone was saying he was the best and Timbland started throwing insults and shots at Storch. By stating “ I get a half a mil for my beats/ you get a couple grand I’m a real producer and/ you just a piano man/ your songs gonna top the charts/ I heard em, I’m not a fan.

This isn’t the only problem Storch has had with producers. Producer Lil Jon even came to accuse Scott of taking his style. Storch said that the only thing they have in common is that they both like low-end bass. In 2003, Timbaland, Dr. Dre, and Eminem got into a serious battle with artist/producer Jermaine Dupri because Jermaine said that Scott’s work was far more superior to Timbaland and Dr. Dre.

What was innovative about Storch was the way he played the piano so amazingly. He didn’t play other instruments but what he would do is implement other instruments and sounds and load them up on the piano and would use his piano talents to play the other instruments, which is genius. He dropped out of school in the 9th grade because he knew he wanted to play the piano and produce music.

In a 4-year span he conquered everything, he made beats for everyone that wanted a hit. Its like he had a formula, He resurrected Fat Joe’s career with “Lean Back” because before that Joe was on the downside of his career.

The impression he left me was he was amazing with what he had and knew. He doesn’t have a list of instruments he can play, nope just one. Again if Timbaland is a top 5 producer and he started the careers of Missy Elliot and Aaliyah, which are legends. Scott had Timbaland feel some type of way to make a song about him.

Scott has taught me a few valuable lessons; one is success and how far one can take it.  Trying to maintain it, and how dangerous drugs can run your life and career. Cocaine drastically changed his life. He went from top 5 to not mentioned at all.



1 comment:

  1. Dear Michael,

    I thoroughly enjoyed your post about Scott Storch. It was very informative and I learned some new things about the producer that I did not know beforehand. It is surprising to know that the lyrics in the Timberland song referred to Storch. I was always curious to know who Timberland was talking about. Seeing as how Storch put Fat Joe back on the map it makes sense that he would use his talent on the piano to create infectious riffs like the one heard from a violin in “Lean Back.” You are definitely right to say that in order for Timberland to recognize Storch and comment on him in a song of his he must have in some way seen him as a threat. Overall I really enjoyed your post. The only recommendations I can make would be to look for a few grammatical and punctuation errors and maybe a sentence fragment here or there. I look forward to reading your blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete